Chronic pancreatitis is the most common cause of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency; destruction of functioning pancreatic parenchyma causes insufficient amounts of enzymes to be synthesised and secreted into the duodenum in response to meal ingestion.
Keller J & Layer P, 2005
- Smith RC, Smith SF, Wilson J, Pearce C, Wray N, Vo R, et al. Australasian guidelines for the management of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency. Australasian Pancreatic Club, October 2015. pp 1-122.
- Dumasy V, Delhaye M, Cotton F, et al. Fat malabsorption screening in chronic pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004;99:1350-4.
- Domínguez-Muñoz JE. Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency: diagnosis and treatment. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26(Suppl 2):12- 16.
- Walkowiak J, Lisowska A, Przyslawski J, et al. Faecal elastase-1 test is superior to faecal lipase test in the assessment of exocrine pancreatic function in cystic fibrosis. Acta Paediatr. 2004;93:1042-5.
- Domínguez-Muñoz JE. Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy: exocrine pancreatic insufficiency after gastrointestinal surgery. HPB (Oxford). 2009;11(Suppl 3):3-6.
- Icks A, Haastert B, Giani G, et al. Low fecal elastase-1 in type I diabetes mellitus. Z Gastroenterol. 2001;39:823-30.
- Rathmann W, Haastert B, Icks A, et al. Low faecal elastase 1 concentrations in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2001;36:1056-61.
- Maconi G, Dominici R, Molteni M, et al. Prevalence of pancreatic insufficiency in inflammatory bowel diseases. Assessment by fecal elastase-1. Dig Dis Sci. 2008;53:262-70.
- Leeds JS, Hopper AD, Hurlstone DP, et al. Is exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in adult coeliac disease a cause of persisting symptoms? Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007;25:265-71.
- Leeds JS, Hopper AD, Sidhu R, et al. Some patients with irritable bowel syndrome may have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;8:433-8.
- Ewald N, Bretzel RG. Diabetes mellitus secondary to pancreatic diseases (Type 3c): are we neglecting an important disease? Eur J Intern Med. 2013;24(3):203-6.
- Keller J, Layer P. Human pancreatic exocrine response to nutrients in health and disease. Gut. 2005;54(Suppl 6):vi1-28.